Japan-Canada Summit Meeting
June 27, 2022
On June 27, commencing at 9:35 am (local time; same day, 4:35 pm Japan Time), for 25 minutes, Mr. KISHIDA Fumio, Prime Minister of Japan, held a summit meeting with the Right Honourable Justin Trudeau, Prime Minister of Canada, while visiting Germany to attend the G7 Elmau Summit. The overview of the meeting is as follows.
- At the outset, the two leaders welcomed that Japan and Canada have been closely coordinating to address issues such as Russia’s aggression against Ukraine.
- The two leaders confirmed their commitment to imposing strong sanction measures against Russia and promoting support for Ukraine, in continued close coordination with the G7 and the international community. In addition, the two leaders concurred that Japan and Canada will closely coordinate under the situation facing shortage and price escalation of energy and food.
- The two leaders discussed on the situation in the Indo-Pacific, and concurred that any attempt to unilaterally change the status quo by force is not accepted. In addition, the two leaders confirmed to maintain their cooperation on responding to North Korea, including on nuclear and missile activities and the abduction issues.
- The two leaders shared the view to advance a concrete and strong cooperation on the aspects of the six priority areas of cooperation toward the realization of a “Free and Open Indo Pacific” （Note）to maintain a free and open international order based on rule of law. The two leaders had a candid discussion on CPTPP with a strategic perspective, and confirmed that they will closely cooperate.
- The two leaders confirmed that they will cooperate closely for the success of the G7 Hiroshima Summit next year.
（Note）SHARED JAPAN-CANADA PRIORITIES CONTRIBUTING TO A FREE AND OPEN INDO-PACIFIC
(1) The Rule of Law, (2) Peacekeeping Operations, Peacebuilding, and Humanitarian Assistance and Disaster Relief, (3) Health Security and Responding to COVID-19, (4) Energy Security, (5) Free Trade Promotion and Trade Agreement Implementation, (6) Environment and Climate Change