Japan-U.S. Summit Meeting (Summary)
On November 16th, commencing at 5:15 p.m. (local time, 10:15 a.m. on November 17, Japan time) for approximately 15 minutes, Mr. KISHIDA Fumio, Prime Minister of Japan, who is visiting San Francisco to attend the APEC Summit Meeting, held a meeting with the Honorable Joseph R. Biden, Jr., President of the United States of America. The overview of the meeting is as follows.
- At the outset, Prime Minister Kishida stated that he is delighted to meet with President Biden after the historic Japan-U.S.-ROK Summit in Camp David. Prime Minister Kishida also stated that the coordination between Japan and the U.S. is becoming more important than ever with the situation in the Middle East, Ukraine, and the challenges of the Indo-Pacific region including China and North Korea. In response, President Biden stated that the importance of the Japan-U.S. Alliance is higher than ever, and that he would like to further strengthen the coordination between Japan and the U.S. Prime Minister Kishida also welcomed the significant progress on the Indo-Pacific Economic Framework for Prosperity (IPEF) and stated that the Japan-U.S. Economic Policy Consultative Committee (the Economic 2+2 was timely.
- The two leaders exchanged views on regional issues.
(1) Prime Minister Kishida stated that he highly appreciates President Biden's leadership and the U.S. diplomatic efforts including the realization of humanitarian pauses regarding the situation in Israel and Palestine. The two leaders condemned the terror attacks by Hamas and others and concurred on continuing to work closely together to improve the humanitarian situation in Gaza and toward realizing a twostate solution.
(2) Regarding Russia's aggression against Ukraine, the two leaders concurred on continuing severe sanctions against Russia and robust support for Ukraine.
(3) The two leaders, based on the results of the U.S.-China Summit Meeting on the 15th, concurred on continuing to work closely together in addressing issues related to China. The two leaders also confirmed the importance of cooperating with China on shared challenges.