Visit to the League of Arab States Headquarters by Prime Minister Kishida (Summary)
April 30, 2023
On April 30, commencing at 10:05 a.m. local time (4:05 p.m. Japan time) for approximately 30 minutes, Mr. KISHIDA Fumio, Prime Minister of Japan, who was on a visit to the Arab Republic of Egypt, visited the League of Arab States headquarters. The overview of the visit is as follows.
1. Courtesy Call by H.E. Mr. Ahmed Aboul Gheit, Secretary General of the League of Arab States
(1) At the outset, Prime Minister Kishida stated that Japan attaches importance to its traditionally friendly relations with the Arab world and expressed Japan's desire to continue to capitalize on these ties to contribute to peace and stability of the Middle East as well as the international community.
(2) In response, Secretary General Aboul Gheit expressed his appreciation for Japan's various contributions to peace and stability in the Arab region, including its support for the United Nations Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees in the Near East (UNRWA), and the two sides concurred to hold the third meeting of the Japan-Arab Political Dialogue in September this year to promote further collaboration and cooperation between Japan and the Arab world.
(3) The two sides also exchanged views on regional and international situations including Ukraine, the Middle East Peace and Sudan, and confirmed that they will continue to deepen cooperation between Japan and the Arab world towards maintaining and strengthening the international order based on the rule of law in close cooperation with Secretary General Aboul Gheit.
2. Courtesy call by permanent representatives to the League of Arab States
Prime Minister Kishida expressed his hope that Japan would further expand its relations with Arab countries in political, economic, cultural and various other fields, including through such frameworks as the Japan-Arab Political Dialogue, the Japan-Arab Economic Forum. Touching upon Russia's aggression against Ukraine, Prime Minister Kishida expressed his desire to strengthen the international order based on the rule of law, working hand in hand with people in Arab countries, who are important friends of Japan, against any attempt to unilaterally change the status quo by force.
In response, a representative to the League of Arab States expressed their appreciation and respect for Japan’s contribution so far.