Establishment of the Municipal Merger Assistance Headquarters
March 27, 2001
- Considering the fact that great changes are taking place in the situation surrounding municipal administration, including the promotion of decentralization, the declining birth rate and aging society, and the dramatic deterioration of the fiscal situation facing both the central and local governments, with a view to maintaining and improving administrative services of the municipalities, which are the fundamental local public bodies, and striving to expand the scale and increase the efficiency of that administration, bearing in mind the recommendations issued by the Committee for the Promotion of Decentralization on promoting municipal mergers (November 27, 2000), the Municipal Merger Assistance Headquarters (hereinafter referred to as "the Headquarters") shall be established within the Cabinet in order to seek greater understanding among the people regarding municipal mergers, and promote coordination among the concerned ministries and agencies for the relevant measures taken by the Government.
- The Headquarters shall be composed of the following members. However, the Chief of Headquarters may request the attendance of relevant persons when deemed necessary.
|Chief:||Minister of Public Management, Home Affairs, Posts and Telecommunications|
|Deputy-Chief:||Parliamentary Deputy Chief Cabinet Secretary|
Senior Vice Minister of Public Management, Home Affairs, Posts and Telecommunications
|Members:||All other Senior Vice Ministers|
- A Secretary shall be appointed within the Headquarters. The Secretary shall be a civil servant of one of the relevant administrative organizations and holding an appointment designated by the Chief of Headquarters.
- The administrative affairs of the Headquarters shall be handled by the Cabinet secretariat, with the cooperation of the Ministry of Public Management, Home Affairs, Posts and Telecommunications.
- In addition, any matters pertaining to the operations of the Headquarters and any other necessary matters shall be decided upon by the Chief of Headquarters.