Ministerial Council on Japan-Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) Normalization Talks
September 20, 2002
Verbal Approval at the Cabinet Meeting
- In order to facilitate the smooth progress of normalization talks between Japan and North Korea, and to deal with related issues, the Ministerial Council on Japan-DPRK Normalization Talks (hereinafter referred to as "the Council") shall be convened whenever necessary.
- The members of the Council are the Minister for Public Management, Home Affairs, Posts and Telecommunications, the Minister of Justice, the Minister for Foreign Affairs, the Minister of Finance, the Minister of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology, the Minister of Health, Labour and Welfare, the Minister of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries, the Minister of Economy, Trade and Industry, the Minister of Land, Infrastructure and Transport, the Minister of the Environment, the Minister of State for Science and Technology Policy, the Minister of State for Financial Services, the Minister of State for Economic and Fiscal Policy, the Minister of State for Regulatory Reform, the Chairman of the National Public Safety Commission, the Minister of State for Defense and the Chief Cabinet Secretary.
The Council may request the attendance of concerned parties where necessary.
- The Chief Cabinet Secretary shall preside over the Council.
- A Secretary shall be appointed within the Council. The Secretary shall be a civil servant of one of the relevant administrative organizations and holding an appointment designated by the Chief Cabinet Secretary.
- The administrative affairs of the Council shall be handled by the Cabinet Secretariat, with the cooperation of the relevant administrative organizations, including the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and other ministries.