Statement by Prime Minister Junichiro Koizumi
at the Press Conference
12 September 2001
The series of terrorist attacks that occurred yesterday in the United States of America took a great number of precious lives. These extremely vicious acts of violence can never be forgiven. I am outraged by these acts which pose a grave challenge not only to the United States but to the entire free world.
I would like to express once again condolences for the victims and their bereaved families, as well as my heartfelt sympathies to the President and the people of the United States and to all who have suffered.
Japan strongly supports the United States and is resolved to spare no effort in providing necessary assistance and cooperation. We must stand firmly together with the concerned nations of the world to ensure that such acts are never repeated.
We established emergency headquarters in the Prime Minister's Office last night and efforts are being made to gather information and take necessary actions. Furthermore, the National Security Council had a meeting a little while ago with the attendance of all Cabinet members and decided on the following six-item policy.
The Government of Japan will do its utmost to respond to the situation based on this policy.
- All relevant ministries will work in concert to take every possible measure in order to gather accurate information on the situation including the safety of Japanese nationals concerned and to take all appropriate measures.
- All possible measures will be put in place to assist Japanese nationals affected . At the same time, the preparations for such measures as the dispatch of a Japan Disaster Relief Team for all those affected will be made, so that actions can be taken promptly if requested.
- The security of such facilities and establishments related to the United States in Japan will be enhanced, and necessary actions will be taken as appropriate, responding to the prevailing situation.
- Efforts will be made to provide appropriate information to the people of Japan and to keep the people alert on the situations.
- Japan will respond in cooperation with the United States and other concerned nations to combat international terrorism.
- Appropriate measures will be taken to prevent confusion in the economic systems both in Japan and in the rest of the world.
Thank you for your attention.